Tesla Roof Rack for Model Y/3: What You Need to Know?
by Nina Abby on Oct 18, 2022
Tesla Model Y and Model 3 are the two most popular electric vehicles in the market. They are stylish, efficient and fun to drive. But what if you want to take your Tesla on a road trip? Or go camping? Or just transport some large items? Then you need a roof rack. When it comes to Tesla roof rack for Model Y/Model 3 , what do you need to know? Let's check out together.
What is the roof rack?
Roof rack refers to the roof carrying rack, which is the two cross bars fixed on the car roof, and the basic device of all car roof carrying schemes. The roof rack has both aesthetic and practical functions, which can not only make the car more cool, but also be useful when you travel.
On the basis of the roof rack, you can carry bicycle rack, kayak rack, skiboard rack and other carrying racks. It can also carry large items that cannot be put in the rear trunk of the vehicle, such as bulky luggage, bicycles, folding beds, kayak, etc. As long as it is fixed in place, the roof rack can bear more than you can imagine.
Can I install a roof rack on Model Y or Model 3?
The answer is yes! You can definitely install a Tesla roof rack on Model Y or Model 3 vehicles! There are actually some great roof racks specially made for these models on the market, and they are easy to install. However, there are a few things you need to remember. First, make sure that the roof rack is properly secured and that all weights are evenly distributed. Secondly, you should avoid putting things that are too heavy on the roof rack. Ensure that your vehicle does not exceed the maximum weight limit, because it may damage the car. Finally, when installing the Tesla roof rack, be sure to carefully follow all instructions to avoid damaging the vehicle.
With a little care and attention, you can easily enjoy the convenience of the Tesla roof rack on Model Y/Model 3.
Is the roof rack of Model Y and Model 3 the same?
If you are considering buying a Tesla Model Y or Model 3 roof rack, you may wonder if they are the same. After all, Model Y and Model 3 are Tesla cars, and their designs are very similar. In addition, there are some key similarities between the two roof racks: 1. Both are made of aluminum, and the surface is generally black; 2. Both are designed to conform to aerodynamics, which is very important for Tesla Motors.
However, Model Y and Model 3 roof racks are different. The main difference between Model Y and Model 3 roof racks is size. The Model 3 roof rack is smaller and lighter, while the Model Y roof rack is larger and heavier. This is because the Model Y is a larger car and needs a stronger roof rack. In a word, although the roof racks of Model Y and Model 3 look very similar, they are not exactly the same. Model Y or Model 3 owners must select the special roof rack for the corresponding model when purchasing the roof rack.
How to select the right Tesla roof rack?
When choosing the Tesla right roof rack for Model Y or Model 3, there are several things to keep in mind:
- Firstly, consider the type of roof rack you need. There are roof racks specially designed for specific types of equipment, such as skis or bicycles, so be sure to choose the appropriate roof rack according to your needs.
- Secondly, consider the weight and size of your equipment. Some roof racks have weight limitations, so be sure to check your equipment before purchasing.
- Finally, consider the price. The price of the roof rack ranges from several hundred dollars to 1000 dollars, so you can shop around and find the best value for money.
For example, TESERY's Tesla roof rack is made of high-grade aluminum alloy, which is 1/3 lighter than steel. However, it is very durable, with a rated load of 100kg/220lbs. And the price is not expensive - $299, which is widely accepted by Tesla owners. Watch the video to learn more:
How to install the Tesla roof rack?
Before installation, we recommend watching the Tesla roof rack installation video from YouTube:
- 1. When installing, it is best to install by the cooperation of two people, to avoid installation errors.
- 2. Take out the crossbarsand accessory box one by one, first follow the instructions to understand the product accessories and general style.
- 3. Manually confirm whether the Phillips screws at both ends of the crossbarsare locked, if they are loose, they can be manually locked (Note: It is forbidden to use electric tools, because the aluminum alloy cannot withstand the power of electric power, and there is a risk of sliding wire). After fixing it, you need to check it again.
- 4. Find the card slot of the rail of the roof rack reserved by Tesla, and put the mark in the middle with the transparent sticker in the accessory.
- 5. Attention must be paid to the installation direction of the beam to avoid deformation of the iron plate or other losses due to incorrect installation.
- 6. Do not tighten it too tightly. It is recommended to use a torque wrench for installation, and just tighten it to 5Nm!!!
- 7. After installing the roof rack crossbarsis installed, there will be a problem of windage. So you need to pay attention to the weight of the brake when driving.
- 8. If there are accessories installed on the roof rack, you need to check whether the accessories are fixed in place before driving, especially for products such as luggage rope nets, which can carry a lot of things. Of course, this weight cannot exceed the design capacity of the roof rack, which is 50-70 kg.
- 9. The accessories of the roof rack must be fastened tightly, and don’t sway the goods, and don't be overweight.
- 10. After the crossbars are installed, if it is necessary to use or install accessories such as ski racks, bicycle racks, kayak racks, suitcases and so on every week, you must be sure to check whether the screws of the crossbars are loose or not to prevent the product from falling off. It is best to check once a week.
Start an exciting journey!
The Tesla roof rack is the most important accessory for owners' self driving. When choosing, you must choose a brand roof rack. At the same time, you should choose a roof rack suitable for your own vehicle. Before departure, you should also choose a matching scheme of self driving travel equipment according to your own journey. Only a well prepared journey can bring you the best self driving experience!